View all facilities

Engel Conservation Area

Image Unavailable

Features

  1. Parking
  2. Picnic Area
  3. Picnic Tables
  4. Restroom/Portable
  5. Walking Trails
Site Description
This 155-acre site, the largest city-owned conservation site, was acquired and developed for passive recreational use and outdoor education. There are 29 acres of upland woodlands, 87 acres of wetlands (including 22 acres of wet woodlands and 42 acres of wet prairie plantings), and 31 acres of upland prairie plantings within the property. 

A 67-acre area on the northern half of the property was enrolled into the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Wetlands Reserve Program.  The US Fish & Wildlife Service supported projects to re-establish the upland prairies and restore other wetland areas. 

Hiking Trails
The approximate four miles of hiking trails that traverse the site have interpretive signage for self-guided nature walks. A trail map is available on site. Google+

Parking & Facilities
Engel Conservation Area has off street parking for approximately 16 vehicles and a portable restroom facility.

Click here for site map.

History
Prior to the mid 1800's the Engel Conservation Area site was inhabited by Potawatomi Native Americans.  In 1859 the land was settled and farmed by Tobias Oakler, a German immigrant.  In 1864 William Techtmann, a German immigrant shoemaker, purchased 20 acres of unimproved land with his wife Fredericka (daughter of Tobias Oakler).  The Techtmanns purchased surrounding acreage and built a house and barn.

In 1903 the farm was sold to Fred & Mary (Techtmann) Lee.  The couple added more acres to the farm resulting in 124 acres as shown on the 1914 plat map.  Most of the farm acreage was purchased in 1930 by neighbor George Schoppe.  In 1938 the farm was passed on to Frank & Mary Schoppe, who owned it for 7 years.

Ewald & Eleanore Engel purchased the property in 1945 and built a new house.  The Engels farmed the land and propagated galdiolus for the florist industry.  They were the last private owners of the land until 2003 when it was purchased by the City of Muskego for the purpose of establishing a conservation area.

Public Education & Outreach
Various Eagle Scouts from Muskego and surrounding communities have contributed greatly to the construction and development of the Engel Conservation Area.  Their work has been integral in making the Engel Conservation Area a popular recreational destination in the City of Muskego.

Many outdoor recreation programs and events are held at this site including the observance of Arbor Day and International Migratory Bird Day. Future developments may include a nature center/interpretive building with classrooms and restroom facilities.

Volunteers
Volunteers are always welcome for performing land management activities.  If you have comments and suggestions, or if you can help us in any other way, please contact the Conservation Coordinator.
Go to Calendar