Shoreline Structures

Shoreline Structures and Shore Development Permit Requirements

Most structures and shoreline modifications at or near a navigable waterway require a permit. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) governs structures and shoreline modifications that take place at or below the Ordinary High Water Mark (OHWM) of a waterway. The DNR also regulates other activities such as grading near navigable waters. The City of Muskego Municipal Code regulates structures and developments above the OHWM. 

Wisconsin DNR Permits and Requirements

Anyone wishing to place materials such as rip rap, gravel, or fish habitat structures, or construct any structure which is at least partially located below the ordinary high water mark, must obtain a permit from the DNR. However, piers and swimming rafts that meet DNR guidelines, may not require a permit. In addition, any grading activity near a navigable waterway may require a DNR permit. Many other near-water structures and developments are regulated by the DNR. For more information visit Wisconsin DNR Waterway & Wetland Permits or call your local DNR Water Management Specialist. 

City of Muskego Permits and Requirements

Land Disturbance Permits
The City of Muskego requires a Land Disturbance Permit for excavation, filling, grading, demolition, removal of protective ground cover, or other land disturbances. These permits, obtained from the Engineering Department, allow City staff to assure that erosion control measures are taken and evaluate potential changes to drainage patterns. Contact the Engineering Department at (262) 679-4145 with questions relating to Land Disturbance Permits.

All structures in the City of Muskego require a permit from the Community Development Department. These structures must be "setback" a minimum of 50 feet from the Ordinary High Water Mark (OHWM) of any waterway, except boathouses as defined by Chapter 400 (Zoning Code). Boathouses are allowed to be located a minimum of 20 feet from the OHWM. These structures are limited in size to 525 square feet and to 15 feet in height above the lowest grade. Features such as decks, patios, walkways, retaining walls, fences, etc. also require a permit from the Community Development Department. Contact the Community Development Department at (262) 679-4136 with questions relating to permits and requirements.